Hamariykū Garden (Hamarikyū-Onshi-Teien) is a marvelous example of Japanese garden design of the Edo period within the heart of the bustling metropolis at the mouth of Sumida River (Sumida-gawa). Once a feudal place of the Tokugawa Shōgunate for duck hunting and relaxation, it has been bestowed to its current state as a public park in 1946 with about 25 hectares.
Water, the major element of the park’s 3 ponds, is directly provided by Tōkyō Bay (Tōkyō-wan) as the park itself is surrounded by a seawater moat on 3 sides, so one is able to see the changes in the park that comes from tide. The Garden was one of the very few which had such watering system still in an operational condition over the centuries.
The tea house in the center of the largest pond is nowadays easily surpassed by the nearby buildings of the business site of Shinbashi and Shiodome however the park has successfully remained a cultural and serene retreat of former times.